Thursday, June 12, 2008

jinja (not the weed) and outreaches

I think one of my favorite things so far is my morning walk to buy a newspaper: inevitably, a small group of schoolchildren congregates behind me, and collectively whispers about whether or not I'm a mazungu (which translates from the language of Luganda to, "white person"). Sometimes they erupt into a pretty heated discussion, and I tend to settle the debate as soon as I leave the vendor's stand. One boy seemed a little disappointed by the fact that I was just a visitor, and subsequently asked if I was sure that I wasn't just a really pale Ugandan.

Last weekend, I opted for whitewater rafting instead of bungee jumping when we were in Jinja. Our guide was a forty-year old Zimbabwean man, who shared stories about his hippopotamus-wrestling days as he led us for 30 km down the Nile. In his non-rafting spare time, he was singlehandedly doing everything possible to cause further collapse to Mugabe's economy in the hope that it would drive him out of office. In fact, I'm pretty sure that he spent the past four months in the "money laundering" business. Jinja was beautiful, and the picture below is a view from our point of portage . I'm hoping to go back during a lazy weekend and reconsider bungee jumping.

I'm excited that my project is becoming more lucid as I get a better grasp of the situation here. I've spent the past few days working on outreach visits, which are supplied by UNICEF and orchestrated by RHU. We drive to the slums of Kampala and post up an office, consisting of two benches, a cooler with vaccines, and a duffel bag of generic drugs. For four hours each day, I sat with a nurse as we diagnosed and treated patients as they came to our post. I learned that in order to get babies to take their oral polio drops, I have to make the strangest facial contortion before they'll open their mouths to laugh. I also learned how to give a subcutaneous measles shot, and recognize malaria from a mile away. While I'm almost certain that I'm entirely unqualified to do most of these things, I discovered that it really doesn't matter. Dire need trumps almost all else.

I've spent the remainder of my time researching different types of health indicators in order to write evaluations on the quality of these outreaches. Assessing quality of care is pretty difficult when you have to make immunization cards out of post-it notes, but I'm working on figuring that out. I think I lucked out with my job in that I'm being exposed to both sides of a constantly growing, yet flawed, system. I get the feeling that there is a serious disconnect between the administrators of projects and the actual implementors, and I'm not sure on which side I'd fit best at this point. It definitely makes for some interesting conversation with the doctors here.

My Luganda is getting better with time. I can now ask, "What is your name?" and "Have you been tested for HIV?"

Thanks for the emails, and for checking to make sure I'm still alive. My internet connection is sporadic at best, so I apologize for my delayed responses (though they're actually fairly characteristic of me when I'm in the US, too...). Let me know about life and everything else when y'all get a chance.

4 comments:

SportsGuy31 said...

P-Money, when I was in Ghana they called me "yovo" which translated to white person, i think that the general rule is that anyone who isn't extremely dark gets pegged as a white person. I heard that they even call some of their own people "white" if their skin is fair in comparison to others. It's a funny cultural thing.

It sounds like white water rafting was a lot of fun. I guess not that many people can say they've white-water rafted the Nile. How's the northern flow?

In terms of your feeling under-qualified for the work you are doing, I also felt that very much for Unite for Sight in Ghana. Like you said, the need for help outwieghs all else but it is not an uncommon thing in this type of work. One thing that I didn't like about my program is that there was no plan of training local people to do that work or helping to develop a desire/care to help people help themselves. This program that you are doing sounds like it has a better grasp on that aspect of the general "foreign aid" work. It's cool that you get to do these things though. I think it's important for the program to have a sustainable and lasting impact even after the actual organization is gone.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Have fun with the babies and be careful of stray needles!!

-Kunal

Paula said...

Hey Kunal,
Sustainability is so ridiculously important, and I'm trying to make it a central part of my project. After I write the surveys to be distributed to my target population, I'm hoping to take some students from a local university (who volunteer for the organization fairly regularly) with me to the field, and train them to conduct the survey and collate the data on their own. Plus, I figure people are going to be more honest with their answers if the questions aren't coming from a mazungu.
It's so good to hear from you--hope Baltimore is treating you well!

seearnaubrun said...

The question is....is your 'Buganda' getting better?

Leah said...

Wow, it sounds like you're doing some really great work. I'm so proud of my little girl!