Tuesday, June 17, 2008

the specter of development tourism

At some point in March, I remember reading a post on Chris Blattman's blog and feeling strongly dissuaded from coming to Uganda for several weeks of spring. Upon reading his piece, I gathered that Blattman was explaining the potential (yet, decidedly unintentional) harm one could inflict on a population by engaging in what one of my friends refers to as, "conflict tourism". I suppose that the concept can best be oversimplified by looking at the imbalance between one's broader usefulness and one's personal enrichment, while traveling to areas of the world that are most well-known for their helplessness. While it may seem admirable for someone to want to experience hands-on field work and become exposed to these vulnerable populations in the hopes of learning from them, I guess I couldn't help but wonder, "Who are you really doing this for?" and "Are you going to cause more harm than good throughout the course of your experience?"

I dreaded becoming another college student who traveled to the Equator because it sounded sexy, or foolishly thought she could save Africa in a summer. Like Blattman says,

"...these towns increasingly feel like circuses, and I think you have to ask yourself whether you want to really help out or become part of the sideshow."

After much thought in April and May, I decided that I wouldn't let myself be a part of the problem. I took the mild admonition to heart, and came here with the following mindset: I am someone with skills that are meant to be used by those who know how best to use them here. A concept or skill which I might consider transferable may prove to be utterly worthless in this contrasting environment where I am the most conspicuous component. As such, I guess I could best describe my purpose in Uganda as that of a "tool" (ha).

The whole debate returned to the forefront of my thoughts when a friend asked me if I'd like to travel to the district of Gulu next week with RHU. Gulu is the birthplace of Joseph Kony, the leader of the Lord's Resistance Army, which is the group currently responsible for terrorizing parts of northern Uganda (for the historically curious). Kony is arguably credited for much of the violence and internal displacement in the region, though it truly depends on whom you're talking to here. As a result of this regional instability, there's great need for health services, immunization outreaches, and family planning education. Were I to go to Gulu, I would be a part of these efforts. I expect that I'd work with the nurses to help immunize children, diagnose and treat patients to the best of my ability (which is again, limited as an undergrad). I expect that I could get much more done for my organization were I to remain in Kampala. Yet, it's remarkably difficult to ignore the potentially incredible nature of the experience: I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to see regions of former IDP camps, or help out as part of the UN Food Programme for displaced persons. But doesn't that make me just another circusgoer?

My potential trip would last no more than three days, so I'm really just blowing my impending repercussions out of proportion (i.e., whatever I choose to do is really not that critical, nor will it have any profound impact on anyone else). I'd return to Kampala to continue my job in evaluating current processes and outputs, which is where I think I'm being put to greatest and best use. I guess I'm just unsure about what degree of detraction from these responsibilities will leave me with a clear conscience--if any.

In the end I'm glad I'm experiencing this internal turmoil (though at a reader's expense), because at least now I'm constantly aware of using my time as wisely as possible while I'm here. Also, the silver lining of conflict tourism may lie in its ability to provide perspective for those who will hopefully be in positions to effect change in the future. How else am I supposed to alter the state of things if I never see/hear/breathe/feel what is going on?

At this point, I'm hoping for a pretty amazing epiphany in the near future (I hear there's a full moon tonight, so maybe that will help with the clarity). In the mean time, I'd love to hear any sage advice that comes my way.

7 comments:

Atheendar said...

I always thought Blattman's point was for one to make sure they were sufficiently introspective about the purpose of the trip and things experienced therein. Based on your interesting post, you've already achieved this.

Also, as you note, there are long-run benefits to have these experiences. You are obviously interested in public health and will likely be doing such work (though in a different capacity) in the future. Knowing what's out there will inform you and change the way you practice health care and public health in the future: think of it as practical and philosophical knowledge. I.e., this isn't a three-day tourist excursion that Blattman would (rightly so) frown on; this is the first (or second or third?) of many experiences you'll likely have both in this region and around the world.

My vote: go for it.

Leah said...

Haha Paula's a tool...you so funny. Sorry, no sage advice from me, but what do you really expect? No idea what happened with skype the other day, I guess we'll have to try again soon.

Lauren said...

Whatdya mean you can't save Africa in a summer? I don't get it?

In all seriousness, though, I do understand the angst that comes with visiting an area that is inherently interesting for its helplessness. In those situations, one must find the balance between wanting to help/learn/experience and also feeling foolish, clumsy and incredibly selfish while doing so. It's tough, and Blattman's piece seems to suggest that there are very few instances when a non-expert actually belongs in a post-conflict zone.

But at the same time, I'd argue that these kind of self-doubting questions can be asked of most "altruistic" work. The volunteer who goes into a cancer institute in the US and cheers up little kids for a week then leaves: who is he/she really helping? Isn't he/she just a part of the circus too? Won't he/she leave the hospital, feel really good about himself and have accomplished basically nothing? What about someone who makes a documentary? Is that more valid because there is an enduring piece of work that results? When does one draw the line at what is/is not "valuable?" Who gets to determine that? Etc. The analogy goes on and on.

No one can answer these questions, but in all of these instances, I think what actually matters is the person's motivation. Blattman raises some good points about motivation that I think you should ask yourself, namely "who will this help?" and "who are you doing it for?" Of course "me" will be part of your answer, but you have to consider how much of your answer it is. Will this trip - like you say - really alter how you think about medicine/your career path, or will it be an opportunity for you to get upset about mankind's cruel nature and to take pictures of little kids who lost parents? Only you really know, though I trust you and your motives to the nth degree.

So my advice is to think a little more about the true reason you want to do this, but to also not overvalue Blattman's warnings. This is not an Africa-specific moral/ethical dilemma - this simply goes back to the fundamental point you and I often discuss about doing things for the right reasons, and not because you "should," or because it's a "good thing to do," or because you "ought to." Etc.

Lauren said...

Wow, I just left you a dissertation. Also, you're the 3rd person who has referenced Blattman in 2 days. What gives? Also, why am I not asleep right now? So many questions...

seearnaubrun said...

From my perspective (or maybe it's the sphere of friends I associate with), there seems to be an increasing divide between those who pursue options abroad with true purpose and those who do it to satisfy an inherent sense of being or find some definition of self worth. There are those who travel to remote corners of the Earth to entertain others at cocktail parties while there are those who are just trying to find a purpose.

I am finding it harder to identify with either group because most of my international travel is for pleasure. Is it enough to just be exposed to these issues and do nothing about it or do we actively have to remove ourselves from our sheltered lives and proactively get out there on the front lines? Which choice will clear our consciences? I can't begin to tell you stories of some of the white-washed, WASPY people I know who literally have no clue of what's going on over there. Are we any better because we are cognizant of the issues but do nothing about it? I continue to question others' motives. I feel that naturally, most people are driven towards performing socially conscious acts because it gives them a (remember the non-existent concept of selfless good deeds?).

However, these developmental tourist 'circuses' that Blattman refers to need these 'non-experts.' I think the 'non-experts' are driven by others who are genuinely motivated to make that much-cliched difference for these underdeveloped communities. And I do think that this experience could be the impetus for many more public health endeavors in the future (if you choose to do so) and could create a completely different venue for you in medicine. Consider it this way: even if you never pursue another social development opportunity again, do you really think that the work you do in Uganda benefited no one? It looks like you're blurry-ing the lines between the work you do and true, tangible impact. Just based on reading the blog and talking to you, it seems that your motivations are in the right place.

I will leave you with a platitudinous remark from William Channing: 'Every human being has a work to carry on within, duties to perform abroad, influence to exert, which are peculiarly his, and which no conscience but his own can teach.' Insightful, no?

SportsGuy31 said...

Paula, plenty of sage advice from people here. I wouldn't be too concerned about what you are doing having a negative impact. After all, doesn't this discussion itself prove that you are not, in fact, a self-serving student trying to get experience with no thought to the cost of your personal benefit?

Here's another way to look at it. Shoot first and ask questions later. Ha, just kidding.

On another note, it's not necessarily about what you do or are able to accomplish on your current trip that will ultimately determine whether the trip had a positive impact. How your experience changes you and helps you understand the problem may help you make a larger positive impact in the future. You know, big picture type thinking.

On an unrelated note...if you see a dead monkey or gorilla, don't touch it. It may have Ebola. No joke. Uganda has naturally occurring outbreaks of Ebola and that is not good for you. Also, if you can, you should try to see the Mountain gorillas. There are only a few hundred left in the world and are a huge part of the tourist economy in Uganda.

-Kunal

ali said...

i've been recently struggling through some of these issues as well. and what i've been finding mostly is that it's important for me to question the authenticity behind my curiosity in travel. because if i am just going for the sake of exoticism, that's pretty much shot. i mean, a mindset like that lands you in a place to view everything you see thru a biased cultural lens and most likely thru a self-contained mission to 'save the starving children'. i've found myself deeply resenting the crusades many of us westerners take to change things simply by our presence. like lauren said, most the time those missions are worthless except to the self esteem of the person involved.

but at the same time, i hesitate to conclude that there is no real valid purpose for travel, or even that there really is nothing i can do when i travel to places like uganda. like you said, you have skills that can be utilized where you are. and truthfully, those skills can only be sharpened by a deeper awareness of the culture you are living in.

i have been dealing with the cultural issues of doing something in an internship this summer. while i know what i would like to accomplish and i feel confident of the possibilities of this, my superiors are much less excited about those possibilities and much less confident of their need in the organization. but as my sister pointed out, part of that problem lies in my cultural misunderstandings of the situation and of the superiors' code of relations. basically, she told me that i can't make any change unless i can present myself in a manner which is knowing of and consistent with the culture i am working in.

so though i understand your struggles of whether to do what may feel like selling out, i think that these experiences could be just as relevant to your future work as what you may do if you didn't go.

also, skype me. :) i miss you like crazy.